INSTRUCTIONS & APPROVAL PROCESS
- Requests should be submitted at least TWO MONTHS in advance of when program funding is needed– It takes two months to receive, review, deliberate, approve or decline funding and issue a cheque.
- Fill out the application in its entirety and send it to your Division Unit Commander who will forward it to ProAction’s Grants Coordinator
ProAction’s Grants Coordinator will then have it signed-off by the Unit Commander of Divisional Policing Support Unit – ProAction’s Police Liaison.
The application will then be processed and sent to ProAction’s Grants Committee for review.
- Applicants will be notified by email if the Application has been Approved or Declined and a cheque will generally be issued within a month of receiving the application.
FUNDING CRITERIA AND REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants must be an officer of the Toronto Police Service and the youth must reside within the City of Toronto.
- Programs must be developed, managed and driven by officers. Police officers may partner with community agencies or schools who may provide administrative support, referrals to youth, etc. If a program is initiated by a school or community agency with fundraising capacity and run by the police, ProAction will consider matching the funds provided by the school or community agency. Funds eligible for matching grants exclude in-kind donations (i.e. facilities, salaries, honourariums, etc.)
- The expected ratio should be no greater than 20 youth to 1 officer for programs or events.
- Programs must influence youth who are at risk, in the short or long term, from developing an undesirable lifestyle and help to promote pro-social attitudes through skills development, positive social interaction, mentoring, etc.
- ProAction funds programs that take place within the province of Ontario.
- Grants may cover costs such as facility rentals, equipment, snacks, awards, materials, and fees for youth and Toronto Police officers to take part in programs. ProAction does not normally fund salaries, honourariums, administration, or compensation for individuals – police or civilian. Capital equipment funding will only be considered for programs clearly initiated and managed by officers and where the equipment will remain property of the police.
- Awards and trophies are limited to $25 per unit. Medals are limited to $5 per unit. Prizes are limited to $60 per unit. T-shirts if not available by ProAction are limited to $10 a t-shirt.
- Police-initiated one-day events (i.e. Division picnics, open houses, etc.) are normally eligible for up to $500 in funding.
- Officers must complete and submit program reports for prior programs before a new program application can be considered.
REQUIRED PROGRAM FOLLOW-UP
Within one month of the program end date, program officers must complete and forward the Program Report with all receipts and any left-over funds, as well as digital photographs (with release forms) and any media coverage to their division’s Unit Commander who will then forward it to ProAction’s Grants Coordinator.
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US FOR ANY QUESTIONS OR IDEAS
Neelofer Samaroo - Grants Coordinator ProAction Cops & Kids - 40 College Street, 6th Floor, Toronto, ON M5G 2J3 Tel. 416-222-7011